Informal Vitae of Marsha L. Butler
Elementary School - Houston, Texas
• Played lead role of “Noun” in the sixth grade school play, “Parts of Speech.”
• Won sixth grade spelling championship.
Deady Junior and Austin Senior High Schools - Houston, Texas
• Wrote feature stories for school newspapers.
• Received the coveted “Quill and Scroll” pen for creative writing for my work on the school newspaper my senior year.
• Graduated in top five percent of my class - 1965.
University of Texas - Austin, Texas, B.A., Social & Behavioral Sciences -1972
• Majored in political science; minored in English.
• Volunteer children’s reading tutor.
• Worked as a legal secretary for Fulbright & Jaworski - typed, edited & proofread SEC filings, using printer’s proof (in addition to a myriad of other legal secretary duties).
• Worked at the Texas Legislature, drafting and proofreading legislative bills and congressional correspondence.
• Worked for a ground-water hydrologist, typing and proofreading hydrology reports.
Work Experience - Santa Fe, New Mexico - 1972-1991
• Worked as a trial paralegal, paralegal supervisor and case manager for several Santa Fe law firms and one San Francisco/Denver law firm on complex anti-trust litigation. Did legal research, wrote memoranda of law, pleadings, and other legal documents, research memos, business letters and case summaries for clients (all of which I also edited and proofread), prepared trial exhibits and conducted witness interviews.
• Served as lead trial paralegal on several major commercial lawsuits.
• Served as in-house trainer for paralegals and lawyers on major uranium litigation.
• Worked as a freelance paralegal on similar types of complex litigation in Denver, CO and Santa Fe.
• Freelance proofreader for Santa Fe Court Reporters. • Tutored ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) as a certified Literacy Volunteers of America tutor.
Work Experience - In and Around Central Florida - 1991-present
• Freelance work for Orlando and Tampa law firms representing the Resolution Trust Corporation as lead paralegal and staff manager on numerous investigations/cases brought by FBI, SEC, RTC and private individuals against American Pioneer Savings & Loan. I was in charge of a team of fifteen non-lawyers and supervised collection, organization and production of thousands of documents in discovery phase of various legal proceedings.
• Freelance paralegal for Save the Manatee Club, Maitland, FL, researching and managing data collected from regulatory documents pertinent to major environmental litigation.
• Education/Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator for Wekiva River Aquatic Preserve, FL Dept. of Environmental Protection. Sanford, FL. Design, write, edit and proofread educational and outreach materials (posters, brochures, flyers, newsletter articles), edit documents written by other staff members, design and present environmental education programs, lead nature hikes and coordinate Eagle Scout projects.
• Adjunct instructor of Civil Litigation at Orlando College, Orlando, FL. • Freelance instructor for Elderhostel at Camp Thunderbird, Apopka, FL and San Pedro Center, Orlando, FL. Taught history and nature courses.
• Volunteer lecturer for Defenders of Wildlife’s “Habitat for Bears” campaign, throughout Central Florida.
• Volunteer ESOL teacher for Lake County, FL library system, Groveland, FL.